Monday 27 April 2009

Oh Grow Up

Returning from one of my regular, shrill lectures to my teen son about being of an age (16) where he ought to start taking responsibility and understanding that it is about time he started to grow up and revise for his very important GCSE exams, I expect a thunderbolt to crash through my kitchen ceiling any minute, striking me down as punishment for my appalling hypocrisy. I'm happy to harp on, insisting that preparation is everything, yet I wait until a deadline is breathing down my neck before I do anything myself. It took the advent of Google Street View to frighten me into sanding down and re-painting the rusted railings outside my house, and pulling out all of last year's withered, brown and crispy bedding plants from the variety of knackered terracotta pots that reside in the tiny "area" that is definitely not a garden. Is it a terrace? Er, an outdoor "space"? Whatever, it was a mess and it was only the thought of this fetid mush of bin bags, rust and dead foliage being photographed for publication on the Net that made me sort it out.

What else should I do to set a good example to the Spawn? They're not accepting, biddable little toddlers any more. They're capable of making their own, considered judgements now and are quite happy to interrupt my rants with completely irrefutable remarks regarding my own failings. My previous fallback position of: "Never mind what Mummy does, that's not your concern," just doesn't cut it.

I have therefore vowed that from now on, I will:

Work with neglected children. Preferably my own, although guarantees cannot be given.

Open my bank statements when they arrive, not file them down the back of the hall table.

Ditto credit card statements.

Develop a lasting friendship with at least one man who isn’t gay (re guarantees: see first point).

Hand my mobile phone to a trusted friend before embarking on a night out, to stop me from ringing old/ex boyfriends when I am cocooned in a happy cocktail-induced haze.

Expunge from my mobile phone all the numbers that I either never call or have no idea who they are, but only keep in my phone to reassure myself that I have the acceptable number of friends.

Tolerate fools better, provided this does not encourage them to take up more of my time.

Stop correcting people’s grammar and pronunciation (with one exception: anyone who says “pacific” instead of “specific” must be punished ruthlessly).

Give up drinking alcohol.

Except at parties.

And when having dinner with friends.

And when I’ve had a hard day.

Empty the cat litter tray on a regular basis instead of waiting until it looks like an IRA dirty protest.

Stop spending hours on Twitter whilst pretending it is "work”.

Stop dating men who have no recollection of Charles and Di's wedding because they weren't born then.

It's over to you now, people. What will you vow to do in future?

I have been asked to publish the following anonymously. Read it and I think you will see why...

I vow never again to clean the rim of the en suite toilet with husband's toothbrush - unless under extreme provocation - for heaven's sake it's not unreasonable of me to expect him not to say hello.

I will not feign how much I will miss him whenever he travels away from home. I will not plot & plan dastardly things I could do whenever he is away from home. (Sadly these only ever stay at the plotting and planning stage - but infidelity is a state of mind, is it not?)

I vow never to swear again (however elegantly, relevantly and indeed, in received pronunciation) and then tell my child that it would be quite wrong to copy Mummy

I will not encourage my child to read books or watch programmes that are way out of his age group because I need someone intelligent to discuss them with & husband doesn't come into that category.

Never again will I allow myself to play the drunken dialling game. No-one wants to hear from me at 3.00am no matter how much they profess to love me.

I will never visit any of my inlaw's homes again and deliberately break something.

Easier actually just never to visit any of my inlaw's homes again.

I will never again express surprise when my child finds nefarious substances in my office drawer and then say "What a silly place for Mummy to have put her herbal tea". (I vow to find a safer hiding place).

I vow never again to have a period that lasts for three solid months and will revert to trusted method of telling my husband that I have a headache like normal women do.

I will never again speak to ex boyfriends when husband is at home. They do not like to be called Susan or Hermione.

I vow never again to mark letters from banks or building societies and then send them back with the advice that I refuse to respond to them until they start to write in proper English.

I will not giggle uncontrollably at funerals.

I will not make a stye look much worse than it is by adding purple & green eye make up.

I will be honest when books arrive for me from Amazon & will stop telling husband how lovely it is of best friend to have sent gifts to me.

I will generally become a much nicer person and will stop being sarcastic.

I will try hard to stop lying about becoming a nicer person and not being sarcastic.

16 comments:

  1. ha. brilliant as ever GA. I vow to not pretend clothes bought for self in Top Shop aren't for step-daughter 'oh, she'll love this top.. yes she's 17.. just like you shop assitants..' Why do i bother - they don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah. I have done that myself. Pointless, as they sniff disdainfully at me, as though there can be no possible reason for my being in Top Shop other than to buy something for someone MUCH younger than myself. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buying things because I like them but know they will have no use or purpose in my life

    Stop spending my birthday/Christmas money 3 times, once in anticipation, once by c/c that I will pay off with cheque and once from ordinary bank account.

    Buying books that should improve intellect/intelligence but I expect info to enter brain by osmosis

    Buying large quantities of lush fabric to make gorgeous outfit, that I get bored of making and gets hidden under spare bed.

    Aaarghhh, how many confessionals are there on blogspot ?

    WV niserse - well thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. The spending of birthday/Christmas money three times is genius. I have been known to do it twice, but never three times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wish this was the case in my family too. when my mum says "i'm the mother, THAT'S why" have no choice but to shut up, even tho' i am married now (ie makes me think I am "old enough"). unfortunate cultural baggage, cant thumb our nose at anything she says!

    love your idea re expunging people from mobile phone. however, how does one expunge them from your world? more of a formidable task, methinks.

    i vow to

    stop rolling my eyes in utter condescension when people rave about chilean cabernets. or certain australian shirazes. must stop the cynical behaviour. but, shouldnt there be a law re what can and cannot be called wine? here i go again...

    stop rolling eyes, again, in condescension, when people say they "dont like pasta" and therefore hate italian food. please refer to marcella hazan's book if you cant make a trip to taormina or rome or naples.

    refrain from buying one new book unless i have read two in my library.


    refrain from buying new shoes unless i have worn two new pairs (ie actually walked out of the house with them, not just admired them on one's feet, staring at them in the full length mirror).


    stop being harsh on people.

    start telling people i know they are trying to "place" me and socially pigeon-hole me by asking me where i live. i know you, i know youre being nosy and intrusive. (how does one achieve this in light of vow mentioned above)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exromana: I too must refrain from buying one new book until I have read another two from my library - excellent vow. How anyone can say that not liking pasta means they hate Italian food is beyond me: Italian food is THE BEST. I think I shall make Marcella Hazan's book my next purchase (just as soon as I have read two from my library....)

    Stop being harsh on people: now that's going to be a struggle. If only we knew a budding chemist who could invent some "nice" pills. £££

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is never any excuse not to buy a book, irrespective of how many you already have, NEVER.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally concur with you Titan red; books should sit around for years before you get round to reading them. Me? Well...I'll try to..
    Stop cleaning the house with baby wipes.
    Stop using moisturiser to hide the scuff marks on shoes; it's lazy and expensive (Clinique as boot polish; stupid really).
    Stop killing the garden things I grow in containers, especially herbs, which I need to cook fabulous meals with (when I've learnt how to cook).
    Stop pretending I'm going to learn how to cook.

    I completely get the bank statement one; I do it with mobile phone bills too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katherine - Clinique to hide the scuff marks on your shoes? I am IMPRESSED.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am trying to think of things I'm going to vow not to do, but actually I am no longer trying to be a better person as I find it does not make me happier. I prefer to be ghastly as it fills me with a kind of subversive glee and feels much more authentic than any other type of behaviour. Perhaps this is why I don't have many friends?
    Who is the anonymous poster? I LOVE HER!!!! I want her to be my best friend (and you of course..)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! Have just found your blog. Lovely. Shall be back.
    As to all the things that you and others are going to STOP doing, I just keep thinking 'What a good idea! Must try that!'

    ReplyDelete
  12. And HOW many gallons of Chanel Cristalle does it take to get the damn toilet clean? Basically, I'm lazy and can't be bothered to drag my backside downstairs to do the job properly!! Sorry I've tagged you, feel free to ignore but I'm loving your blog posts; veeeerrry very funny

    ReplyDelete
  13. Justme: Yes, I'm afraid other people's wonderful comments have made me think exactly the same thing!

    MTFF: There's a lot to be said for being ghastly; I get quite a kick out of it at times. Which is not good, MTFF. We know it isn't. We must resist and be beautiful, angelic-type people. Mind you, the terrorist nuns at my school were convinced all their pupils were on a one-way trip to Hell, which didn't make any of us behave any better. Rather the opposite. Subversive glee indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hah! perfect post

    ReplyDelete
  15. He looks simply adorable! Very envious - would love to have a dog but don't think it would be fair as live alone!

    ReplyDelete