Monday 13 April 2009

So Far Away

My teen children's largely absent father calls (a rare enough occurrence in itself) and asks them if they would like a holiday in Los Angeles. For the entire month of August. My daughter, ever receptive to an opportunity to party, says yes immediately; my son is hesitant. I convinced him this was a "chance of a lifetime" and he should say yes. It means he won't be able to collect his GCSE results in person or go to Leeds Festival, a long cherished ambition and something which he has saved for over the past year, but the pull of L.A. is stronger, as it should be.


I am not party to any of these negotiations as I am not allowed to talk to the Ex (I'm afraid I am sufficiently petty that I usually refer to him as the Vile Ex but here I will attempt to be better than that). In the decade since we divorced we have had periods when we speak, periods when we speak a lot and periods when we don't speak at all. We are not speaking now because last year my son broke his wrist playing rugby and had to undergo two separate operations, both times under general anaesthetic, to reset his wrist and the Ex refused to visit him in hospital as it was "inconvenient". Yes, he lives in Hertfordshire these days, but still. Or perhaps you think me unreasonable to mind this? Anyway, I reacted with fury and since then there has been no contact.


Anyway, he generally communicates with his children - well, my children with him - via email. Christmas Day, for example. One line. He was on holiday somewhere - I think it might have been Mexico, none of us were told exactly - but surely his hotel must have had a telephone? To be fair, he had met them in November and bought his son an i-pod as his Christmas present. His daughter had been invited to Barbados with a mate (wowser, not jealous at all) so I paid for the flight and he gave her her spending money. However, this money was in lieu of both her Christmas and Birthday presents. I might add her father is extremely rich. That's all I'm saying.


I whinged about this rather a lot and eventually one of my closest friends told me that I did this with boring regularity and I should give myself and everyone else a break and stop it. Once I'd come out of my huff I recognised that she was probably right. Okay, absolutely right. I can't do anything about his behaviour and I might as well shake my fist at the sky when it rains for all the good it does.


So far this year, the kids have seen their father once. In March. Actually I'm wrong, only my son saw him as my daughter was competing in a singing festival and also singing at Ripon Cathedral on the day he chose to visit Yorkshire. He bought my son a laptop for his birthday. This was absolutely brilliant, my son was thrilled, but it rather raised one or two thorny questions of equality with his sister (see above).


I'm fearful as to how they will cope for a month with two adults they barely know, their two step-sisters (19 year old twins, I've met them once, seem perfectly nice) they barely know and a three year old half brother they barely know (but like, naturally). Of course, a month-long holiday in what will, without question, be luxurious surroundings must be view as a GOOD THING and I do view it that way, honestly I do. More importantly, it might result in a better relationship with their Father and Step-Mother which again, is a GOOD THING. And there's bound to be exciting sight-seeing trips and so on. All GOOD THINGS.

I do wish I could afford to take the kids on such a holiday though. I'm small and petty aren't I?

5 comments:

  1. Small? No. Petty? No. Doing the very best you can - yes, you are. And being brave enough to be straightforward about it, too.

    And - although it "shouldn't" be... because it could be considered to be prying (albeit with your permission) by the reader, it's a damned good read.

    It's refreshingly plainly written so I'm able to get a very good idea of who you are - within the confines of a web that is, indeed, worldwide. At least, your use of language seems as if it is an invitation to know who you are and what you feel. Ouch making to write - but your clarity is easy to read.

    And without wishing to be partisan in any way ... you know, sometimes, exes (be they male or female) ARE vile and there are times when they need to be referred to as such.

    When are you going to write some more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before reading this, I had the misguided view that divorce still meant two loving parents, children who spent time with both parents and enjoyed double Christmases, Birthdays, holidays. I cannot believe that you think you are "small and petty". Your self-containment is a miracle in the face of Vile Ex's (very well named!) neglect and callous behaviour towards his own children. It cannot be easy to conceal what you feel about their father but maybe this holiday will be a first step towards a rapprochment.

    Despite not being able to afford n* holidays and all the luxury trimmings teens require today, I think you are an amazing mother and talented writer. Looking forward to future RazorKitty updates x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the product of divorce. If the connection is not there now, its really not going to be. I am one of 4 children. We are all extremely close to my mother and have "polite" association with my father. When I was young my mother was also the one wanting us to have a connection with my father when were younger but he wasn't really interested. It was always forced and we knew the truth.
    They don't need all the frills - just the stability. And believe me, if they don't know it now, they will in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also the product of divorce, but unlike So Lovely, was the only child of my parents' marriage and horrendously ugly, petty, bitching and endlessly dragging-on divorce and subsequent years of not really speaking to each other. All I can comfort you with is that it will not have escaped their notice at any point that you have been there for them consistently and that he has not. They may forgive him his inadequacies at some point in the future (hopefully they will for their own sakes) and they will probably not really want to discuss it with you in any detail for fear of setting off your feelings (rather than theirs). This trip will most likely be a very mixed emotional bag of fun things, painful things, dull things, exciting things and inevitable things. But you are right, it is a GOOD THING that they go so that they can make up their own mind about who their father is, what their relationship with him might be going into the future, and how they (including him) will shape that separate from you. I can only imagine how gut wrenching that must be for you and I think you are hugely brave and being very big about it.
    If your kids know about your blog, then you are right to hold back on the name calling (it's pretty brutal for them to hear it) but if they don't, and can't find out about it, then go to town. It's your space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not small or petty - every mother wants the best for their children and finds it incredibly hard to work out why anyone, least of all their father, can't get it together for them. As for parity of presents/ presents given for specific reason that should be a given. Even I, parsimonius in the extreme (due to ghastly profligacy)make sure that funding is handed out over and above Christmas/birthday.

    ReplyDelete